There are many benefits of working as a sub-contractor with One Click Umbrella. You will be able to claim back business expenses, pay less NI contributions, have access to our online portal to help control your expenses, and receive help and advice from our friendly team. You will also benefit from the fact that you will not be charged any hidden fees and most of the admin work is done for you; we handle the contracts, invoices and purchases orders with the agency or company. It's as easy as that!

To get started, you need to be registered as self-employed with HMRC and have your own unique tax reference. You can then register under (Construction Industry Scheme) CIS as a sub-contractor, which we will verify with HMRC.

How the Construction industry scheme service works

Once you have registered under CIS as a sub-contractor and we have received verification, it will take no more than 48 hours to set you up with a One Click Umbrella CIS account. Once the contract is agreed, you will receive two copies of the Services and Self-Billing Agreement between you and One Click Umbrella. You will need to sign one of each and return them to us. All you need to do afterwards is tell your agency or company the date from which you will work with us and we will agree with them a deal for your services.

You will be paid for all your services - this will require an invoice, submitted by you, detailing the work you have done which we can issue through a self-billing arrangement. Any money due to you will be paid to you on the same day at no extra charge. As a sub-contractor, you will be required by law to deduct 20% of your earnings to tax, which we will send to HMRC on your behalf.

You will also be required to file an annual tax return with HMRC at the end of each tax year. You must pay any tax due once they have processed your tax return. We are happy to send through the post any advice that you need on tax remittance and we offer a free optional text message service confirming payments to your account. The cost for the service is only £21 per week (this can be offset as a business expense against your tax bill).

Another important point to remember is that all self-employed contractors must have public liability insurance, which you will be required to send us a copy of. We can arrange this for you at a small cost. It is advised to arrange personal accident insurance too. This can also be done by us.

If you have any questions regarding this information, or you just need some advice, our friendly team is here to deal with any queries you have between 9.00 a.m. and 5.30 p.m